Small decks are an ideal solution for creating a cosy outdoor retreat. They offer ample relaxation, entertainment, and dining space, even in small backyards or balconies. Planning wisely by consulting deck builder Melbourne and maximising the available space is the key to designing a small deck.
In this blog post, we will explore 10 small deck ideas that inspire you to create a cosy outdoor retreat.
How to Plan a Small Deck
Before embarking on a small deck project, several key factors must be considered. First, you need to determine the size and location of the deck. Choose a space that is easily accessible and complements the style of your home.
Next, consider the materials you will use for the deck. Wood is a popular option, but composite or PVC decking may be better for low-maintenance options. Finally, work with a professional deck builder Melbourne to ensure your design is safe and compliant with local building codes.
When planning the layout of your small deck, it’s important to maximise the available space. Use built-in seating or planters to save space, and choose multi-functional furniture. For example, a bench with built-in storage can be used for seating and storage. A foldable table can be used for dining or as a workspace.
10 Small Deck Ideas
Now let’s explore 10 small deck ideas that will inspire you to create your cosy outdoor retreat:
- Cozy Corner: Create a cozy corner on your small deck with a built-in bench or an outdoor sofa. Add some cushions and blankets for comfort, and decorate with potted plants and string lights.
- Garden Deck: Create a garden deck by adding planters and a vertical garden. Choose plants that thrive in your local climate and add some herbs for an extra touch of green.
- Rooftop Deck: If you have a rooftop space, turn it into a cosy outdoor retreat with a small deck. Add some outdoor furniture and a shade sail for protection from the sun.
- Elevated Deck: Consider building an elevated deck if your backyard has uneven terrain. This will create a flat surface for entertaining and offer a view of your surroundings.
- Tiny Terrace: If you have a small balcony, turn it into a tiny terrace with a small deck. Add some outdoor furniture and a small table for dining.
- Pool Deck: If you have a pool, create a pool deck with a small deck. Add some lounge chairs and umbrellas for shade.
- Minimalist Deck: If you prefer a minimalist style, create a sleek, modern deck with clean lines and simple furniture. Add some potted plants for a touch of green.
- Coastal Deck: If you live near the coast, create a coastal deck with blue and white accents. Add some nautical-themed decor and a hammock for ultimate relaxation.
- Farmhouse Deck: If you prefer a farmhouse style, create a farmhouse deck with rustic furniture and decor. Add some string lights and lanterns for a cozy touch.
- Zen Deck: If you prefer a zen style, create a zen deck with a small fountain and some bamboo plants. Add some meditation cushions for a peaceful retreat.
Materials and Accessories for Small Decks
Consider the durability and maintenance requirements when choosing materials for your small deck. Wood is a popular choice but requires regular maintenance to prevent warping and rotting. Composite decking or PVC decking is a low-maintenance option that is resistant to moisture and fading.
To add personality to your small deck, consider adding accessories such as lighting, outdoor rugs, seating options, potted plants, or green walls. Outdoor lighting creates a cozy atmosphere, while outdoor rugs add colour and texture. Seating options such as chairs, benches, or hammocks can provide comfortable seating, while potted plants or green walls can add a touch of greenery.
In conclusion, designing a small deck as a cosy outdoor retreat is a great way to enhance your home or business environment. You can create your own unique outdoor retreat by following these tips and exploring the 10 small deck ideas presented in this post. Remember to work with professional deck builder Melbourne to ensure your design is safe and compliant with local building codes. Contact us today to learn how we can help build your dream small-sized outdoor retreat.